Monday, June 29, 2015

Mid-range Goals...

Ok... so... not only did Lisa not post, but I'm a week late...It is all for a good cause however.

As you may have guessed from the title this post is about mid-range goals that aren't quite where you want to get to, but a sure sign that you're on your way...

First up on our hit list... While I was in the hospital last month the lowest my insulin dosage got was 20 units of long acting each day and a sliding scale of short acting before meals. Then, they put me on a steroid for others stuff they needed to treat and the long lasting went up to 40 units and they added 3 units per meal to the short acting... Well, as of last Wednesday I'm at 18 units of the long acting and haven't used the short acting in weeks... this is a mid-range goal because I wanted beat where I was in the hospital at a minimum. I really want to be using zero (0) injected insulin, which is a lot harder and will take more work. In the mean time I've gotten the long acting below it's previous lowest point and that feels pretty good (I'll be dropping to 15 units tomorrow if all goes right with the numbers...)

One of my other goals is to drink more water and (gasp!) less soda. To do this it would be nice to have a way to carry water with me. True I could carry a bottle of water like a normal person but, well, anyone who knows me can see the problem with that! (hint: normal?) I could also go the military route and carry a canteen, but I already did the military thing with my medical pouch insulin pouch and first aid kid med vault so that one is kind of played... After I got out of the hospital I started my MK1 chainmaille bottle carrier (you can go back and look (it's a couple posts back) but please don't, it didn't work well...) but now I have the:


The Mk2 (this one is configured for a 20oz bottle). And:


The MK3. This one is the one I intended in the first place, I just had to experiment with a new material (rubber rings) to get the tension to hold the bottle right. So, I finished the goal of making a neat new water carrier (which is it's own goal of making stuff and an mid-range goal in the process of drinking more water (now I actually have to drink the water...)

We also survived our first, post hospital, trip away from home last weekend. This is a major step, and a mid-range goal, because figuring out schedule away from home and eating in restaurants is harder than working and cooking at home (from a carb intake and being in control of my schedule perspective...). This one gives me confidence for bigger trips later on.

I've also finished an editing pass on my novella (mid-range goal) and it is progressing toward publication (long range goal). I have also started writing text for a non fiction book I was planning a month and a half ahead of schedule (some parts are ready to go, but for others the research part is dragging...)

No, I haven't forgotten about Lisa (actually she's supposed to be working on her dissertation right now... but, she's reading blog posts instead (not really complaining too much (one of them was mine!)). She has also been asked to do some teaching in what I understand to be the QM organizations first entirely non English speaking class, and to teach in a webinar series they're doing (now if we can get her back to that dissertation...).

Actually I can't rag on her about that too much... Lately her thought process has been like mine... For those who have seen this before I'm sorry (I like it and think it's worth a repeat...). If you replace the word "rum" with the word "carbs" this has been my brain trying to work on writing the last couple of weeks...



(Note: I really wouldn't  try to attach any character in the video to any specific person, real or imagined... (and thanks to Andrew Van Vlear for a great video...))

Well, that's about it for this week. Till next time "Where have the carbs gone?"

No comments: