Monday, May 19, 2014

Thinking about tommorrow, today!

Some of you know my birthday is coming up... well... that's not what I'm talking about today. It will happen whether I want it to or not, I've had a few already, I will have another next year, and I'll know more about what happens with it next week, so I'll talk about it next week.

More significant at the moment, tomorrow is the primary election here in Idaho, and I bet the rest of you in the USA have had them in the recent past or are having them in the very near future. A second thing of great import is Memorial day is coming up next week.

"Er, um, what. Patrick what do these things have to do with each other?" Well, memorial day is the day we honor those men and women who gave their lives for this country, even for you and me. One of the things they fought for was your right to vote, not just vote, but to have a voice and an influence in how things are done in your city/town, state, and country. That means that you have a responsibility to get out and vote. People have died to give you that right.

If you are not voting, and putting the effort in to know who and what you are voting for, you are selling the lives of my family and yours cheap.

Ok, Nuff said, well once more: GET OUT AND VOTE!

If you're not old enough to vote yet, well you can still talk about the issues and encourage those who are old enough to get out and vote.

Now then, who and what should you vote for? I'm not telling you specific people or ways to vote on issues, vote for the people who will support and fight for the things you believe and want; on issues, vote your principals. If you want to vote for special rights for people, or for the person I don't agree with, well that's your choice. I'm voting for who and what I believe in too and I'm not going to take that from you!

On the other hand don't call giving someone special rights and protections equal rights! By definition saying that one group in particular can't be discriminated against is putting them in a superior position, and that's not equal. If you're voting for an incumbent who's lied, cheated and done nothing for you; just because you think he/she's the one who will win, someone tells you to, "he's cool", "I wont to be cool", or any other reason that's not supporting your values and interests...you kind of deserve what you get!

Like I said, at this point I'm not telling you how to vote or for whom; however, you need to get out and vote, you need to know who and what you are voting for and you need to DO SOMETHING to support what you believe in.

I'm going to end today's post with a link to a YouTube video. The song: "A Light in the Black". The band: Sabaton (they're a Swedish band that knows more about our history than some of my own countrymen!). Sabaton sings about historical peoples and events, in this case the Korean War (BTW Lisa's grandfather, Popsie served in this war so people related to that family might want to take note). I think this song sums up a lot of what our family in the military have done for us and the world, and in it's own way the things I'm talking about in this post (and in some ways better than I could say them!)



Ok, nuff said. I think I will probably post the cool shop stuff I had in mind later in the week, but this was just too important to be left unsaid.

No comments: